ArtistsforHire

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Santa Hearts Diamond Painting Finish, less ebay, more local shipping

 

A finish.  A diamond painting that I call Santa Hearts.  It's a partial, 16+in with the clear and special shape rhinestones. Sparkly, fun, a pretty design that I will make more of.  I added the green washi tape on the edges.  It's on ebay and also etsy .  I bought 3 of these at one time, and I expect to make the other 2, myself.  I will keep ordering these, from China, so I can stock more to make and sell, and I'd like to add them to Bonanza, and likely the regular website, when I can get to it.  Soon. Unfortunately, it will not be cheap, with the increasing shipping prices.  Larger sizes, bigger than this, have to ship priority mail, which is ranging close to $9.

Ltns.  I know. It's been an incredibly hectic year. Some good, some not so good. While I will try to be nonpolitical, etc, there is some serious rant here, and it may be offensive.  The lack of ability for empathy is astounding.  I'll try to keep it brief.  Email.  Until I saw the protests online, I could not figure out the near death threats, especially on a first hello email, on order statuses.  Surely, not just me? China? Assume I'm stupid?  No. Not just me, across the board on a lot of small sellers.  Threatening my near life and business, over a craft kit.  That's nothing close to normal customer service--and it won't be tolerated. And not passing that on to someone else, I could not be responsible for the mental health of that kind of influx.  Find manners.  Not sure when I will open the emails again, soon, as I am adding more expensive and quality items, so I apologize for those that had real issues.  The tracking.  Everyone gets an auto email of tracking(check your spam).  17track.net is pretty good for the out of country tracking.  Please use it.  Tracking is unreliable and slow, even though most orders are correct and arrive.  At one point, China orders were at 100 days for delivery, and US orders were about 45.  It may go back to that.  Have patience. And it is on YOU to follow up with USPS etc, if an order is showing shipped and near or already delivered--that is what they are there for.  In the meantime, if you cannot handle waiting, on your own, for long delivery times, and possibly incorrect tracking, that may run into 2 months or more, perhaps you should not order.

And I mean that in all seriousness.  Life is not going back to how it was.  A lot of this is out of the seller's control.  Last year was some of the most harrowing time as a seller, in decades of selling.  I've had years to build a few sites, and they all went crazy at the same time.  But so did my suppliers.  Cancelled, out of stock, late shipping, borders closed, warehouses shut down, or just disappeared.  Days that I could barely get through a few orders of the dozens and dozens. Complete exhaustion for months.

It's nice to know that it all works.  And zero time for crafting, most all year.  But I will need to make some changes, as that pace was beyond any normal capability---while the regular day to day pace is a little too slow.  And like most, juggling many things.  Small business. This is not corporations, often not even family operations.  Most sellers are here because they need this, this is their income and life, as something else was lacking.  They've turned a skill or knack into a job to make ends meet, with some business savvy and trying to be fluid.  They aren't going away.  But life was already hard, maybe balancing illness, special needs family, living out in BFE nowhere with nothing convenient.  Usually no hiccups, but small glitches here and there. This pandemic has exacerbated these problems and more. It's great if it seems like there are sellers with no issues, kudos.  But many are struggling, trying to keep a smile.  Please think outside your own box of priviledge, if this last year has taught you anything.  We don't all have the same options, plan B, assistance, to fix some things.  Just because you may live within 15 min of a post office, Walmart, can drive, are healthy, have helpers, etc.......doesn't mean many of these sellers do, at all.  In the meantime, this has also created extreme strain on whatever WAS normal life.  Kids, work, spouses, being at home, less income, food, etc, and perhaps their own illness, immune problems, death, grief, trauma...This has been a time like no other.  AND, they don't necessarily owe you all those explanations and transparencies, while you rattle off a nasty email.  If anything, especially for women, the bullying, harrassment, cancel culture, outing, stalking, drives them even more protective and underground.  I know, without a doubt, this falls on deaf ears, for so many, horrifyingly so, but I would really beg that you think, and sit back and be patient.  Almost everything arrives and is fine, most of the time, we are constantly working and trying to make it all work right. We have to, this is what we do....this other stuff is real PTSD type stress and unneccessary strain, clogging the efforts of getting real work done.

Anyway. So.  I've been mildly "lucky" that my personal strains have been on the more minimal side, and I have been able to keep that separated rather well, most of the time.  So far. However, I do have to re evaluate, again, what is and isn't working, as so many things in the business landscape have changed, and I expect at least half of it to be permanently not returning. That's a lot. My business model, my personal life, my individual needs and goals, have washed away and have to morph a bit more into something different, also protecting from such mayhem panic in some repeat future.  First off, my health.  Many know I already struggle with some physical issues, and those were not quiet this past year.  Excessively at the forefront.  I'm struggling to find the right mix of meds, food, de stress balance, etc and it's a battle; some days now I'm starting to win, but many days are lacking. I have to do things that are making this easier.  A harder/smarter approach.  And if anything, I need it even more than I did before.  So I will be concentrating on more streamlined, more effective things.  I have changed my ebay store to be smaller.  Limits me on how much I can list, so items will be parked on Bonanza and the website if possible, in much greater quantities. I've had enough of some of their treatment, so most everything will at least be on Bonanza, if I can.  I will also not be sourcing as many bead items, and what I do, I will be getting from China, direct.  The Swarovski crystals are mostly a dead item. I did order some as the sales started, not listed yet, but I won't be buying more. I am not thinking about adding Czech, but probably China, the better ones, at least, to sell as immediately available, along with many of the stone strands and cabochons that I've already started to collect.  I do have all of the diamond drills in both sizes, slowly adding and trying to keep that in stock. I also have a few supplies for the diamond painting, and will be adding those as I can get to it.  My picture editor was using Flash, so I am needing to relearn some editing, etc, pics will be a bit delayed.  In the meantime, my computer died last summer, and I bought a cheap one, only thing I could get.  I simply haven't logged in to many apps, etc that I had going, and at this rate, I may need a different computer, as I'm already beating this one to death. 

So the main gist is that I will not be selling most of the glass and US beads that are still up now.  Those will be replaced with China beads and stones, and some diamond painting and other craft kits from China.  My main US craft kit supplier went belly up.  The local kits I wanted to add, are not possible. I will be sourcing a few in the needlework category, etc, as I sift past some other items, pretty soon. I'd like to carry a few of the diamond painting kits, but unfortunately, they will have to be small.  I do still have a few larger ones, not listed, and I don't the the box shipping is viable. I need to be able to send small ones as 1st class mail, or it doesn't make sense. So that is probably not more than a 30x40cm size. China prices have increased significantly as well, and I don't expect that to stop, along with shipping fees now, and some tariffs. I hope this will ease some things on my health and wallet, and fees, and make this more manageable for me.

In the meantime, this absolutely does not mean I will be selling less.  If anything, I need to be selling much more.  The outside world is placing more demands on me.  For now, I have created and bulked up the China Corner, and sorry, all China things will be going there, it will be unwieldy.  But I will be cutting down a bit on the diamond painting kits, and make more room for some other crafts and makeup, shoes, home decor, etc.  I've also had access to US dropship for a few years, and I am going to expand that significantly. That gives me more options to add perfume, US brand name designer items, assured genuine jewelry, and food. With delivery times that are about 10 days, most are US lower 48 street addresses for ground shipping, only.  Again, look to Bonanza first, for those.

The other thing, is the crafting.  I miss it significantly, and it was a solid piece of my business plan. It's the only other thing that comes so directly from my own labor. I was pretty appalled that I could not get a single project finished, out of the stacks of things here. That changes this year, I must have that as part of my business offerings, and for going forward in a few things personally. So expect to see perhaps a few quiet days here and there, and several new projects being added.  Don't forget I am open to doing commission work on nearly anything offered. Needlepoint, latch hook, felt kits, diamond painting, cross stitch, beadwork, etc, are all easily doable. I will be adding some options on that, but likely not until next year, as a plug and play request, but it's always available now, if you see or have a kit you would like done up, in nearly any size, from where ever.

That's plenty for now.  I should have another diamond painting finished very soon, it's almost ready, so I will have more to add with that update.  Stay safe, be well.



No comments:

Post a Comment